Root is a game of adventure and war in which 2 to 4 (1 to 6 with the ‘Riverfolk’ expansion) players battle for control of a vast wilderness.
The nefarious Marquise de Cat has seized the great woodland, intent on harvesting its riches. Under her rule, the many creatures of the forest have banded together. This Alliance will seek to strengthen its resources and subvert the rule of Cats. In this effort, the Alliance may enlist the help of the wandering Vagabonds who are able to move through the more dangerous woodland paths. Though some may sympathize with the Alliance’s hopes and dreams, these wanderers are old enough to remember the great birds of prey who once controlled the woods.
Meanwhile, at the edge of the region, the proud, squabbling Eyrie have found a new commander who they hope will lead their faction to resume their ancient birthright. The stage is set for a contest that will decide the fate of the great woodland. It is up to the players to decide which group will ultimately take root.
Root represents the next step in our development of asymmetric design. Like Vast: The Crystal Caverns, each player in Root has unique capabilities and a different victory condition. Now, with the aid of gorgeous, multi-use cards, a truly asymmetric design has never been more accessible.
The Cats play a game of engine building and logistics while attempting to police the vast wilderness. By collecting Wood they are able to produce workshops, lumber mills, and barracks. They win by building new buildings and crafts.
The Eyrie musters their hawks to take back the Woods. They must capture as much territory as possible and build roosts before they collapse back into squabbling.
The Alliance hides in the shadows, recruiting forces and hatching conspiracies. They begin slowly and build towards a dramatic late-game presence–but only if they can manage to keep the other players in check.
Meanwhile, the Vagabond plays all sides of the conflict for their own gain, while hiding a mysterious quest. Explore the board, fight other factions, and work towards achieving your hidden goal.
In Root, players drive the narrative, and the differences between each role create an unparalleled level of interaction and replayability. Leder Games invites you and your family to explore the fantastic world of Root!
- 2020 Gra Roku Advanced Game of the Year Nominee
- 2020 As d’Or – Jeu de l’Année Expert Nominee
- 2019 UK Games Expo Best Board Game (Strategic Style) People’s Choice Winner
- 2019 UK Games Expo Best Board Game (Strategic Style) Judges Award Winner
- 2019 Tric Trac Nominee
- 2019 SXSW Tabletop Game of the Year Winner
- 2019 SXSW Best Crowdfunded Game of the Year Nominee
- 2019 Scelto dai Goblin Winner
- 2019 Origins Awards Best Board Game Nominee
- 2019 Juego del Año Recommended
- 2019 Jogo do Ano Winner
- 2019 Jogo do Ano Nominee
- 2019 International Gamers Award – General Strategy: Multi-player Winner
- 2019 International Gamers Award – General Strategy: Multi-player Nominee
- 2019 Goblin Magnifico Winner
- 2019 Goblin Magnifico Nominee
- 2019 Dragon Awards Best Science Fiction or Fantasy Board Game Nominee
- 2018 The Golden Elephant Award Finalist
- 2018 Meeples’ Choice Nominee
- 2018 Golden Geek Most Innovative Board Game Winner
- 2018 Golden Geek Most Innovative Board Game Nominee
- 2018 Golden Geek Board Game of the Year Winner
- 2018 Golden Geek Board Game of the Year Nominee
- 2018 Golden Geek Best Thematic Board Game Winner
- 2018 Golden Geek Best Thematic Board Game Nominee
- 2018 Golden Geek Best Strategy Board Game Nominee
- 2018 Golden Geek Best Board Game Artwork & Presentation Winner
- 2018 Golden Geek Best Board Game Artwork & Presentation Nominee
- 2018 Cardboard Republic Striker Laurel Winner
- 2018 Cardboard Republic Striker Laurel Nominee
- 2018 Board Game Quest Awards Game of the Year Winner
- 2018 Board Game Quest Awards Game of the Year Nominee
- 2018 Board Game Quest Awards Best Tactical/Combat Game Nominee
- 2018 Board Game Quest Awards Best Game from a Small Publisher Nominee